Children should be able to count objects up to (and sometimes larger than) 10. Children can learn about basic numbers, shapes and patterns through the use of stories, songs and games.
- Shape sorters and jigsaws are used for the youngest children to learn about shapes, sizes and patterns.
- Songs are sang with all of the children which introduce numbers for counting up and down the number line.
- Staff count with the children in all aspects of play and learning so that the children are familiar with counting.
- Numbers are displayed around the nursery to familiarize the children with number symbols.
- Mathematical language is used with the children bigger, smaller, taller, shorter, long, heavy, light, full and empty.